Originally posted on 10/09/2010
This month, Masala Mexicana is celebrating 3 VIP birthdays! Let's raise our spiced glasses in honor of Victor, Luis, and Ruchi. This spiced Martini has 3 main ingredients: Mexican Chocolate, Indian Chai, and Kahlua coffee liqueur.
Luis loves chocolate
If you love chocolate but have never tried Chocolate Abuelita, do yourself a favor and run to the international aisle of your nearest grocery store to buy some - it will change your life! This frothy chocolate is spiced with cinnamon and it was traditionally sold as tablets, but you can now find the easier-to-prepare powdered version.
Ruchi loves chai
Chai is a delicious and fragrant combination of spices - black tea spiced with ginger, cinnamon, black peper, cadamom, cloves, and star anise.
Victor loves coffee
Kahlua is a Mexican sweet coffee liqueur. Available world-wide and the perfect addition to hot chocolate drinks.
Combined, these 3 ingredients become a delicious spicy chocolate martini fit for any celebration. Enjoy!
1 -2 Chai teabags (I prefer the Starbucks Tazo)
1-2 tablespoons Chocolate Abuelita (powdered)
3/4 cup Kahlua coffee liqueur, chilled
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup boiling water
2 cinnamon sticks for garnishing
1. Pour 6 oz of boiling water over the Chai teabag(s). Let steep for 5-10 minutes.
2. Pour 2 oz of boiling water over the Chocolate Abuelita powder, mix well. Add the heavy cream. Mix well.
3. Combine the chai and chocolate mixes. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
4. Stir Kahlua into the chilled chocolate chai.
5. Pour into 2 chilled martini glasses. Garnish with a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!